Raise the Banner of St. Edward’s Celebrating 125 Years of Catholic Education in Westport This book is dedicated to all who have been a part of the life and story of St. Edward Catholic School for the past one hundred and twenty-five years. We have been privileged to teach, to learn and to grow within the context of our Catholic faith while, as the school song indicates, "we march down the changing years." (May 2012 ~ Westport, Ontario) Join the Happy Throng... 1

Over the years the school has had many titles, such as St. Edward’s School, St. Edward’s Continuation School, St. Edward’s Roman Catholic Continuation School, St. Edward’s High School, St. Edward Catholic Elementary School, St. Edward Catholic School. Whatever the official name of the era might have been, to many the school has affectionately been known simply as “St. Ed’s”. 2

The history of St. Edward Catholic School, affectionately known as St. Ed's, is a proud and vibrant one hundred and twenty-five year saga. Since the earliest days of the parish, parents, with leadership and support from pastors, religious sisters and parishioners, have ensured that their children would receive an education in their Catholic faith. That one constant has been what has made St. Edward's such a vital part of the Catholic and local communities. The close proximity of Church and school was a valuable asset in the training of the young. All activity bore the mark of a Christian life in which parish and family were united. The Parent-Teacher Association was a continued support to both school and home … it is impossible to tell the story of the Convent without relating it to the work of the school. (St. Edward’s Parish History - Westport, Ontario 1978, page 47) In 1986 the Catholic community of Westport, Ontario celebrated a centenary for two beloved institutions – St. Edward’s School and Notre Dame Convent. A 100th anniversary reunion marked the occasion, with more than 500 graduates, Sisters and friends of the school attending. To commemorate the event, Sister Helen Cawley, a St. Ed’s graduate, teacher and principal, penned a brief history of the school and convent. Memories of One Hundred Years at St. Edward’s School and Notre Dame Convent tells of the building of the school and convent in 1886, the arrival of the Congregation of Notre Dame Sisters and the blessing and official opening of both buildings in September of that year. The booklet highlights the growth of St. Ed’s from an elementary school to a complete high school, welcoming secondary school students from Elgin, Bedford and Stanleyville parishes. The joy, pride and zeal of this Catholic school spring from the pages written by Sr. Cawley. That same spirit which created the new school in 1886 lives today in the staff, students and larger community of St. Edward’s. A strong message of Peace and Acceptance ~ a frequent message and way of life at St. Edward. Staff and Students saying “NO! to bullying” ~ Pink Shirt Day 2012 3

The gathering in 1986 was not the only major reunion in recent years. The Graduating Class of 1952 made a promise to itself that the students of that year would assemble for a celebration in twenty-five years. As the organizing group began the process for this event, students from other classes in the 1940’s, 50’s and 60’s thought it would be a good idea to expand the 1952 class reunion to include all former graduates of St. Ed’s. And so, in the summer of 1978, after a year’s planning, a weekend-long celebration took place at the school, church, convent, arena, golf course and lake. The Reunions of 1978 and 1986 were very similar in format and in numbers – with over 500 attending each one, from present students through to graduates from the 1920’s! At each reunion, graduates told stories of their school days at St. Ed’s. Some of these were in personal conversations, others were from the stage in the beautifully decorated Westport arena at the dinner and dance on Saturday evening. People recalled humourous times, special events, times of sadness and loss. Above all else, the raconteurs spoke of their love, admiration and indebtedness to the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame for their learned instruction, leadership and care for students. Without a doubt, these Sisters were the heart and soul of the school and parish for one hundred years. Each generation recalled the influence of a Sister on individual lives and on entire classes of students. The Sisters served the school-parish community well and were welcomed into the families’ homes on a regular basis. They were gracious hosts at the convent, welcoming parishioners and students alike. There was a special bond between the Notre Dame nuns and the people of Westport. The 1986 gathering was thus a bittersweet time - one of joy and thanksgiving for the CND Sisters’ century of faith-filled service to St. Edward’s, one of sadness as this year marked the end of a special era for the school and parish. The very next summer, after one hundred and one years, the last of the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame took their leave from Westport. The Convent as it was being demolished during the Summer and Fall of 2011 This stone from the foundation of Notre Dame Convent (1886) in St. Edward's Parish, Westport, Ontario was presented to the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame during the 125th Anniversary Celebrations of St. Edward School in May 2012. The Sisters were central to the life of St. Edward's Roman Catholic Continuation School and active in the Parish from 1886-1986. The Convent then served as a centre for parish activities until its demolition in 2011. 4

At the time of the 1978 reunion St. Edward’s Parish History – Westport, Ontario 1978 was published to mark the parish’s 130th anniversary. (St. Edward’s Church was built in 1860, twelve years after the parish was founded.) Fr. Reed Rowell, the beloved pastor at that time, along with Fr. Edward Jackman, historian from the Archdiocese of Toronto and editor of the publication, led the Parish History Committee in the writing of the book. One point stressed in the history was the close relationship among the parish, the school and the convent. This was seen in the many connections among the three, from school events to the celebration of Mass and the sacraments, to involvement in the local community. The local pastor has always played an important role in the life of the school. The Sisters led in parish events and education. One astonishing statistic in 1978 was the fact that fifty-nine men and women from St. Edward’s Parish, plus another five from neighbouring parishes who had attended St. Edward’s Continuation School, responded to the call to religious life and the priesthood. Since 1978 another three have followed a similar path. This is a remarkable number, considering there were only 150 families in the parish at most times, perhaps twice that many families in the boom time of the previous century. The book indicates that in the Westport area were conditions that were particularly conducive to fostering vocations to religious life, the priesthood and the diaconate. That same fertile Irish-Catholic parish and school community also fostered countless strong vocations to marriage and the single life. Again, the continuing influence of the priests and sisters on the lives of so many is evident. The local pastor has played a leading role in the life of the school from the earliest days to the present. The idea of building a parish school and convent emanated from Father M.J. Stanton, the sixth pastor of St. Edward’s. Fr. Stanton worked closely with Bishop Cleary and the parishioners to make that concept a reality. Local parishioners donated labour and money to erect both the convent and school in 1885-86. Over the years the pastor has been active in the school’s financial, spiritual and academic life. Many generations recall the visit of the priest to the classroom to present report cards to students. The pastor would read aloud the reports, offering comments of praise and encouragement where warranted, words of criticism and other repercussions for those students not doing so well. In the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario’s publication, Beacons of Faith – The Story of our Schools (2004), Sister Cawley recalls such a visit by Father Michael O’Rourke to Sister St. Claire’s class. The pastor reviewed the ranking of each student in the class, average mark and conduct for each report card. The recently-arrived Sister had marked the conduct lower than normal and this caused considerable concern for the pastor and, consequently, nervous trepidation for the students! Sister St. Claire then realized that the impression of the students’ conduct was lower than she had intended. The conduct marks improved for the next report and everything moved along smoothly from there, Sr. Cawley writes. Father Louis L. DiRocco with First Communion Candidates (April 2012) 5 Father William A. Dwyer Pastor 1986-94

The spiritual life of the school centred upon the celebration of monthly Masses, daily religion classes, the sacraments of Reconciliation, Holy Communion and Confirmation, annual retreats, prayer, to name a few. Holy Days of Obligation meant the celebration of Mass for the parish at St. Edward’s Church, and then having the rest of the day off! The CND sisters directed the choir and the altar servers. It seemed only natural that the life of the family centred upon the church and school. They were as one. Each altar server was responsible for at least one, if not two, full weeks each year of serving the daily morning Mass in the church. In some cases this required the server to hitchhike a ride into town from the farm. One thing was for certain – if you were assigned to serve, you had best be there! Sr. Helen Pickett, much-loved teacher and principal in the 1960’s, was in charge of the altar boys. In the 1978 parish history, Sister recalls one morning when she thought the altar boy was late, so she reached into the cupboard to get his cassock ready for him. As her hand went toward the clothes-hanger, another hand from inside the closet firmly seized hers and a voice said, “I fooled you this time! You thought I was late!” Sister Pickett laughed often about this incident. She concludes her reflection by saying that when a procession of the red-cassocked, white-surpliced altar servers would enter the sanctuary and carry out the ritual with decorum and efficiency, she felt more than rewarded. The nuns prepared the altar and were in the sacristy each day to assist the servers in getting ready for Mass, from vestments to reviewing responses (in Latin!) to the prayers of the daily Mass. The priest would say a prayer, and server and celebrant would then enter the sanctuary from behind the altar curtain to begin the Mass. Home-School-Church-Convent blended together to form the Parish. It must be acknowledged that the efforts to establish a Catholic school might not have been successful had it not been for the whole-hearted cooperation of the people of the parish...So great was their involvement in this parish endeavour that from that time on, the preservation of their system of Catholic education became a matter of vital concern to each member of the parish. (St. Edward’s Parish History - Westport, Ontario 1978) The teachers and pupils of St. Edward’s had a wonderful spirit of loyalty and enthusiasm. One could not be long among them without becoming imbued in that same spirit. I also learned, as well as the inhabitants, to answer to a nickname… rather an appropriate one… the Little General. A common statement was: “The Little General read me today.” She probably did! (Sr. Helen Pickett, teacher and principal in the 1960’s, from St. The Corner Stone from the Original School is on display at the Westport Museum. Work on the school began in 1885 and was completed in 1886. 6 Edward’s Parish History – Westport, Ontario 1978, page 64)

Academic achievement was at the forefront of school life at St. Edward’s. To succeed in school allowed one to succeed in life, not just for oneself but for the benefit of others as well. Until the late 1960’s students were required to write provincial examinations in order to graduate from high school. The entire academic year came down to successfully completing one three-hour, Ontario-wide exam. These tests were marked in Toronto and each student’s results would be published in the newspaper in August. Talk about pressure! The Sisters prepared them well and St. Edward’s students were up to the task, but it was a gruelling academic exercise. Some students, although strong academically, found the format of the provincial exam too daunting and thus did not graduate. A single exam was a difficult way to assess a student’s ability, but it remained that way for generations. The province changed the procedure for graduation requirements in 1968, with high schools setting their own examinations and assessment of students, based on provincial guidelines. Life at St. Edward’s has not all been about academic studies. Sports have played an important part in the life of the student. Every recess and noon-hour, baseball and football players flooded the areas in front of the school and church and behind the rectory. During winter months pupils rushed to the arena for an hour of skating or hockey at noon-time. Sometimes the Sisters joined in on the skating. In the 1960’s there were few players who could match the speed and skill of Sister Elizabeth Jane Fraser on the ice! From time to time the school hockey team would play Catholic schools from Kingston, Brockville, Smiths Falls and Perth. A photo in Sr. Cawley’s 1986 book shows the St. Edward’s high school team with the tournament trophy for 1958. Track and field days were held each spring, with Bedford Street serving as the track for the foot-races. Perhaps the fastest races of all were those featuring the boys scurrying to afternoon classes from the downtown poolroom! In 1970 the new school featured a gym so classes could enjoy basketball, volleyball, floor hockey and other indoor sports. Students today have a multi-faceted playground for fun and games at recess time. The Grade 5/6 class playing badminton in the school gymnasium. (2012) The St. Edward Catholic School Choir 2011-2012 ~ Led by teacher Jeannette (McNally) Kenny. The school choir sings at all school Masses and at different functions throughout the community. 7

St. Edward’s School has been well known for its celebrations. The spirit of the school leaps forth from yearbooks, newspaper articles and reminiscences from teachers and students alike. Music, plays, Christmas concerts, dances, bands, choirs, public speaking, debating teams highlight each year. Each May a devout procession around the school and church grounds honoured the Blessed Virgin Mary. Helen McCarthy writes in the parish history about the St. Patrick’s Day festivities over the years. Mrs. McCarthy recounts the first concert which was held in 1888 to honour Father Patrick Twohey’s feast day. St. Edward’s Parish had its own drama club which worked closely with the school and the Catholic Women’s League (established in the parish in 1921) to put on annual productions. Many St. Patrick’s Day concerts were held in the CWL Hall on the north-west corner of Spring and Church Streets, and were open to the public. Along with the church, school and convent, the CWL Hall was a gathering place for parish and school events for many decades - from Communion breakfasts to plays to dances, fairs, delicious suppers, and receptions after weddings, funerals and ordinations. The Hall was truly a real hub of activity, reflecting the vital role of the Catholic Women’s League in parish and community life. Monsignor Walter Lynett, graduate and priest of the Archdiocese of Kingston, recalled in the 1986 history of the school and convent how Mother St. John of the Rosary harnessed the raw talent of high school students to produce memorable dramatic productions. In one St. Patrick’s Day concert held at the CWL Hall, he was selected to be the emcee for the production. Upon his arrival in town he jumped off the sleigh, only to land in a fairly fresh pile of horse manure. He recalls being cleaned up with soap and water and carried on with his hosting duties. Monsignor, a great story-teller himself, ends the reflection by stating that that particular evening was the highlight of his acting career! St. Edward Catholic School Students in the newly renovated gym ~ June 2011 8

The story of St. Edward’s School emphasizes adaptation and innovation over the years. The saga began with two parishioners walking to Kingston to meet with Bishop Cleary in 1884 to ask for the diocese’s support for a Catholic school in Westport, with the bishop agreeing and then arranging for the CND Sisters to teach in the school. To best serve the students in the area, St. Ed's offered first form (Grade 9) classes from the beginning, adding second form (Grade 10) in 1890, third and fourth forms (Grades 11 and 12) in 1916 and, finally, the complete high school program with fifth form (Grade 13) in 1940. It was then officially recognized as a Grade A Continuation School. These grade levels received funding from the province, a rarity for a Catholic high school. Bus routes were established for students not only in the outlying regions of Westport but for Elgin, Bedford and Stanleyville parishes as well. Imagine how privileged and blessed the students of that day must have felt. They no longer had to leave their homes and communities to complete their secondary education in a Catholic school! When the provincial Department of Education urged the combining of boys’ and girls’ classes at the turn of the twentieth century, the Sisters to this time had solely taught girls. Lay teachers taught the boys. In 1903, after much prayer and discernment, the General Council of the CND made the decision to keep the teaching sisters in Westport and to offer co-educational classes. To accommodate increased high school numbers, a two-room addition was added to the school in 1954. After the disheartening but inevitable closing of the high school in 1967, a beautiful new elementary school was built on the site in 1970. The new St. Edward School, with a student population of one hundred and twenty-five from junior kindergarten to Grade 8, now came under the jurisdiction of the Lanark Leeds Grenville Roman Catholic Separate School Board, with its central headquarters in Smiths Falls. Previously, from 1886 to 1969, a Board of Trustees from the parish was responsible for the governance of the school. Due to increased enrolment, two portables were added by 1992; in 1994 the school was once again renovated, creating four classrooms from what once was an open concept area. In 1998 the province of Ontario legislated a further amalgamation of school boards. Now St. Ed’s is part of the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario, headquartered in Kemptville. The new board encompasses the counties of Lanark, Leeds, Grenville, Stormont, Dundas, Glengarry, Prescott and Russell. St. Edward Catholic School under construction in 1994. The open concept school was divided, then transformed into classes with walls being built and doors added. 9

The recent years since the beginning of the new Millennium have been years of growth and change at St. Edward. The year 2002 saw a new, paved courtyard installed by the CDSBEO as an area for hockey, basketball, and other sports. As former play structures no longer met safety standards, the school council worked diligently, fundraising to replace the former structures. Sadly, in August of 2004, seven-year-old student Logan Wing died. In an amazing act of community spirit, family and friends raised $26,000 in just three months. As his parents wished, this was used to purchase the present-day large play structure beside the school. The Board installed the structure in June 2005, covering the cost of installation. Play Structure ~ built in 2005 ~ in memory of Logan Wing Students playing “4-Square” - painted on the pavement in the Spring of 2010 By 2006, The Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario added a portable at the north end of the school to accommodate all the students. A well trained enthusiastic staff, as well as Board programs and a supportive community led the St. Edward students to surpass provincial assessment standards. As well, they excelled in sports activities and developed their faith as shown in participation in the sacraments of First Communion and Confirmation and days of retreat in preparation for these sacraments. The parish priests continued to be involved in monthly school Masses for the students and in the life of the school in many other ways. Father Ed Keyes with First Communion children First Communion ~ Spring 2011 ~ Father Wes Chochrek Presiding Grade 7/8 Confirmation Retreat at Foley Mountain May 2011 Grade 7/8 Confirmation ~ May 2011 Bishop Brendan O’Brien Presiding 10

Christmas concerts have always been the most highly attended event of the year. The gym is packed to capacity, with standing room only. On one occasion when the fire alarm was accidentally set off, no person would leave their seat, in case they might never get it back! Fortunately, a fireman in attendance quickly had things under control and the show went on. This book has been published in preparation for the 125th Anniversary celebration of St. Edward’s School on May 26, 2012. The anniversary year had begun with a Mass in St. Edward’s Church with Archbishop Brendan O’Brien on Sunday, September 25, 2011. The Mass also celebrated the 90th Anniversary of the Catholic Women’s League in the Parish. As in the previous 1978 and 1986 reunions, the 2012 reunion will include golf, school displays, Mass, and food, speeches and a dance at the arena. The theme for the gathering is the opening line of the school song written by Sister Cawley, “Raise the Banner of St. Edward’s” and alumni have been invited to “join the happy throng.” This chapter of the book serves as an update to the 1986 history which immediately follows this introduction. The rich spiritual and academic heritage of St. Edward School is a special gift to be celebrated. The people of St. Edward’s Parish and of the Westport district have been blessed to have this Catholic school as a centre for learning in our Catholic faith and as a solid foundation for life. Presentation of Certificate, from the Town of Westport, recognizing 125 years of Catholic Education in Westport ~ Robin Reil (Trustee), Dan Lesser (Principal) and Bill Thake (Mayor) Trustee Robin Reil, Superintendent Dr. Donaleen Hawes, Archbishop Brendan O’Brien, Trustee Nancy Kirby, Director William J. Gartland ~ September 25, 2011 One hundred and twenty-five years represents a remarkable achievement of service in the mission of our Lord. Sister Helen Cawley wrote in the 1978 parish history that it would be difficult to assess the far-reaching effects of the culture and training received in the daily contact where dedication, religious faith, secular learning and Christian joy were so gracefully intermingled. Our wish for the school mirrors that of Sister’s remarks - it is our hope and prayer that St. Edward Catholic School will continue to serve the needs of the families of the parish and pass on that legacy of faith and Christian conviction to the children of the present and future days. Every Monday morning throughout the school year, everyone gathers in the gym. Staff and students lead the assembly in a prayer service and time of sharing. 11 Westport’s Christmas Parade, 2011. St. Ed’s won 1st Place: “Closest to the Theme: The Night Before Christmas”

Marg Crichton’s Kindergarten Class The Christmas Story, December 2003 Creating an accessible school! The front entrance gets a new look in the early 1990’s. Father Reed Rowell (Pastor - on the right) and Father Brian McNally (past graduate - on the left) at the 100th Anniversary Celebration in 1986 in the gymnasium. Glenn MacLeod (Principal) & Joe McNally (Trustee) 1986 Celebrating 100 Years Ribbon Cutting for the New School on November 29th, 1970. Joe McNally (Trustee), Archbishop Joseph L. Wilhelm, Laurence Lalonde (Lanark Leeds Grenville Catholic Board Chair) Joe McNally served as trustee for St. Edward's School from 1965-1997. Joe remembers how memorable his school days were as a student and later how sad it was to see the high school close in 1967. The opening of the newly-constructed elementary school in 1970 marked a highlight during his time as trustee. He recalls that Junior and Senior Kindergarten classes were added in the 1970's and the interior of the school was renovated in the early 1990's. For Joe, St. Ed's holds a special place in his heart and has always been a great school! (from Beacons of Faith - The Story of our Schools 2004, page 151). Joe continues to be active in the Parish and at St. Edward Catholic School. All of his years of service are greatly appreciated! 12

St. Edward students’ extra-curricular life has always been a big part of the school program. Sports and other activities help to create a well rounded school. Students currently participate in swimming lessons in Perth, skiing, bowling, hockey, soccer, badminton, volleyball, basketball, cross country, track and field and other sports. Students also have the opportunity to sing in our Choir and participate in environmental activities and social justice projects. Students are always involved in all aspects of our monthly Masses. At St. Edward, we take pride in educating the whole person: Mind, Body, Heart and Soul. In 2009, St. Ed’s became a wireless school using only laptops. Smartboards, projectors and document cameras were installed in every classroom between 2009 and 2012, which helped to make St. Edward Catholic School a very “Technologically Advanced” school. Celebrating the Olympics! Justin Horvath (1998) Students and Staff during the 2011 Terry Fox Walk for Cancer Duston Lawrence, Isaac Ubdegrove and Connor Holliday at Mt. Pakenham in the winter of 2012. Mr. Mark Whitton and a group of students created this tiled Cross, which now hangs outside of the front office at St. Edward. 13

St. Edward Catholic School in 2011 Principals of St. Edward Continuation School Our new “Peace Garden” which was designed and built in the Spring of 2011 by a student ~ Carson Wing For all that you have been and for all that you have done – Thank You, St. Edward’s! Our lives, our hopes, our future are guided still by thee! 14 1888-1919 Sister St. Andrew Apostle 1919-1931 Sister St. Claire 1931-1939 Sister St. Gabriel of the Angels 1939-1940 Sister St. John of the Rosary 1940-1949 Sister St. Claire 1949-1954 Sister St. John of the Rosary 1954-1964 Sister St. Helena of the Cross 1964-1965 Sister St. Helen of the Saviour 1965-1966 Sister St. Elizabeth Jane 1966-1967 Sister St. James Miriam Principals of St. Edward Catholic Elementary School 1920-1953 Sister St. Agnes of Poitiers 1953-1955 Sister St. Mary 1956-1958 Sister St. Laura Miriam 1959-1960 Sister St. John of Sienna 1960-1962 Sister St. Joseph Donald 1962-1967 Sister St. Mary Roberta 1967-1969 Sister Nelda Bauer 1969-1971 Sister Beverley Jay 1971-1977 Sister Denise Burns 1977-1978 Sister Eileen Power 1978-1984 Michael Wicklum 1984-1987 Glenn MacLeod 1987-1989 Robin Reil 1989-1991 Keith McPhee 1991-1996 David McGahey 1996-1999 Theresa Lalonde-Pankow 1999-2000 Nancy Gollogly 2000-2007 Gail McAdam 2007-2010 Paula Perrault 2010Dan Lesser



STUDENTS IN FRONT OF ST. EDWARD’S SCHOOL - WINTER 1910 Boys in the back row: Reg Martin, Tom Garvin, Edward Ryan, Norbert McNally, Jerome Adams, Edward Mulville, Ambrose Garvin, Ambrose Mulville. The girls in the centre: Frances McNally, Kathleen O’Hara, Anne O’Hara, Sephronia McCann, Eva Coburn, Bertha Martin, Carmel Grennon, Marcella Carty, Lottie Bennett, Lucy Kearney, Mary Mulville, Anne Bower. The boys kneeling in the front row: Earl McNally, Arthur McCann, Deming McCann, Wilfred Tobin, Christopher McNally, Theodore Charbonneau. 17


Sister St. Andrew Apostle (MacIntosh) 19

ST. EDWARD’S CONTINUATION SCHOOL, WESTPORT, CLASS OF 1922 Back Row: Willie Adam, Willie Carty, Andie Dwyre, Howard McCann, Frank Mooney, Joe McCann, Maurice McNamee, John McCann, Earl Adam, Casper Speagle, William Murphy, Jerome Hagan, Ed McNally, Frank McNally, Jack Hamilton, Oliver (O. S.) McNally, Raymond Kenney, Joe Sullivan, Gerald White. Third Row: Elna Allore, Marie McCann, Zita Hamilton, Frances O’Hara, Helen Cawley, Irene White, Rita O’Hara, Mary Speagle, Miss Herley (standing), Florence Mulville, Kathleen Maloney, Mollie Carty, Helen Speagle, Evelyn Hamilton, Rita Carty, Frances Fleming. Second Row: Teresa Cawley, Rose Coulton, Mary Henderson, Helen Jordan, Kathleen Carty, Ursula Quigley, Ida Mulville, Helen Bulger, Mary Giles, Marion Mulville, Mae Coburn, Jean Scanlan, Isabel Mulville, Sadie Fleming. First Row: Irene Egan, Mary Norwood, Marguerite Hamilton, Anna White, Irene Mulville, Gertrude Scanlon, Gertrude McNally, Mary Quigley, Margaret Bennett, Florence Quigley. 20


ST. EDWARD’S SCHOOL BAND Back Row: Eulalia Kallaugher, Marie Hamilton, Fern Stoness, Catherine Murphy, Monica McCann. Third Row: Vivian Donnelly, Dorothy Lynett, Hilda McAndrews, Julia O’Grady, Marie Garvin. Second Row: Helen Myers, Gwen Stoness, Walter Byrnes. First Row: Hugh Walsh, Margaret Donnelly, Donny Cooper, Harry Hamilton. Leader of the Band: Des Walsh 22

Hockey games and tournaments and winning the cup in 1951 23


Left to right: Jim Grant, Johanna Pynenburg, Denise Quigley, Fr. Reed Rowell (1967) This plaque on the front of the school honours the contributions of the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame to St. Ed’s. 25

Altar Servers (left to right) Front row: Father John Callahan, Jerry Cawley, John McCann, Johnny Traynor, Greg McNally, Michael Scanlan, Raymond Murray, Johnny Norwood; Second row: Michael Scott, Pat Mulville, Michael Murphy, Tommy Ryan, Matt Murphy, Brian McNally Back row: Bob Scanlan, David Egan, Tommy Murray, Tommy Merkley, Bob Traynor. 26


The first teachers of the New School (1970-71) Left to Right: Denise Quigley, Sr. Eileen Power, Sr. Beverley Jay, Anice Judge, Sr. Marilyn Paterson 28

Father Reed Rowell and a First Communion Class The small addition on the north side of the convent was built in 1961, thanks to Father John Callahan and Sister St. Helen of the Saviour (Pickett). 29

SISTERS OF THE CONGREGATION OF NOTRE DAME IN WESTPORT 1886-1987 SISTERS OF NOTRE DAME CONVENT WESTPORT (deceased - as of 1986) Sister Saint: Frances Alexander of Sebaste Lambert Andrew Apostle Cleophas Thomas of Canterbury Joseph of Jesus Anthony of the Desert Mary Stephanie Rose Anna Gertrude of Jesus Fabiola Thomas Aquinas Denis Areopagite Claire Agnes of Poitiers Edward Martyr Elizabeth of Jesus Thomas of the Rosary Albert Francis Xavier Beatrice of Milan Thomas of the Redeemer (Garvin) Mary Johanna (Smith) Mary of the Infant Jesus Elizabeth Marie Oswin Tharsilla Andrew Apostle (Carty) Onesiphore John of the Blessed Sacrament Mary Geraldine Helen Martyr John of the Rosary Mary Lawrence Charles of the Savior Robert of Citeaux Mary Benedict John of the Resurrection Michael of the Angels (O’Shaughnessy) 30

Lay Teachers at St. Edward (1886 - 1986) Priests who have served at St. Edward’s Church in Westport and have worked very closely with St. Edward Catholic School 1841-47 Rev. Edward Vaughan 1848-65 Rev. John Vincent Foley 1865-66 Rev. Michael Lynch 1866-68 Rev. John M. J. Graham 1868-74 Rev. John O’Donnell 1874-75 Rev. Charles H. Gauthier 1875-86 Rev. Michael J. Stanton 1886 Rev. Donald C. McRae, Administrator 1886-99 Rev. Patrick A. Twohey 1886-88 Rev. John MacCarthy, Assistant Priest 1890 Rev. Thomas Carey, Assistant Priest 1891-93 Rev. Charles J. Killeen, Assistant Priest 1899-1903 Rev. William E. Walsh 1903-27 Rev. Michael J. O’Rourke 1927-28 Rev. Joseph Shannon, Administrator 1928-37 Rev. Peter McKiernan 1937-45 Rev. Harold J. Rice, Assistant Priest 1938-45 Rev. Sherman A. Corrigan 1945-52 Rev. James Vincent Meagher 1952-64 Rev. John W. Callahan 1964-86 Rev. John Reed Rowell 1986-94 Rev. William A. Dwyre 1994-2005 Rev. Edward J. Keyes 2005-2011 Rev. Wieslaw “Wes” Chochrek 2011Rev. Louis L. DiRocco Staff of St. Edward Catholic School 2011-2012 Dan Lesser - Principal Carol Theelen - Secretary Lana Nolan - Kindergarten Darlene Penfold - Grade 1/2 Bridget Adrain - Grade 2/3 Stefan Sagat - Grade 3/4 Jeannette Kenny - Grade 5/6 Carolyn Poole - Grade 7/8 31 Lynn Quinn - Special Education Meagan Carroll - French John Atkinson - Custodian Stephanie Dodge - EA Gord Casselman - EA Tracy Doyle - Student Support

Acknowledgements Sister Helen Cawley, CND (1909-2010), the above-mentioned graduate, teacher and principal of St. Edward's, wrote "Memories of One Hundred Years at St. Edward's School and Notre Dame Convent 1886-1986" (reformatted as pages 15-32 of this booklet, with some minor changes) in preparation for the 1986 school reunion. Another St. Ed's graduate, Greg McNally (Director of Education of the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario, 2000-04) updated the story in pages 1-14 of "Raise the Banner of St. Edward's - Celebrating 125 Years of Catholic Education in Westport." Dan Lesser, Principal of St. Edward Catholic School and Father Brian McNally, graduate, worked with Greg in preparing this booklet for publication in May 2012. 32


1 Publizr


  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. 13
  14. 14
  15. 15
  16. 16
  17. 17
  18. 18
  19. 19
  20. 20
  21. 21
  22. 22
  23. 23
  24. 24
  25. 25
  26. 26
  27. 27
  28. 28
  29. 29
  30. 30
  31. 31
  32. 32
  33. 33
  34. 34

You need flash player to view this online publication