A publication by Ghost Towns & History of Montana July 13th–July 19th 2025 Montana Stories, Photos & Fun! Please share this with a friend Head Ranch PIONEER CABIN TORN DOWN So called Calamity Jane Cabin is Condemned The history of Montana is intrinsically tied to the land and its resources. Helena pioneers recognized that the valley of the Prickly Pear could provide not only an abundance of wealth through mining, but also an agricultural base to support the mining economy. The Head Ranch is an excellent example of a family farm transformed into a productive ranching operation. The log residence is typical of the simple, vernacular style of the Helena pioneers, a style heavily dependent on readily available native building materials. The elegance and symmetry of the stone outbuildings reflects the prosperity of the gentleman ranchers who dominated this area from 1886 through 1893. Ditches and other structures testify to the paramount importance of water, abundant land, and agricultural development to Montana's settlement and economic history. In 1910, the United States purchased Head Ranch and its water rights for use by Fort Harrison. Throughout the twentieth century, the army leased the land to nearby ranches for cattle grazing along with using the ranch for military training. In 1996, the Head Ranch acreages were exchanged to private owners for additional property adjacent to Fort Harrison. Puzzle made at puzzle-maker.com In 1934 The Glacier County Chief reported, “Livingston’s oldest building, the so called Calamity Jane cabin, is being torn down. Constructed 50 years ago, the cabin has been preserved as a relic while other more modern buildings grew up around it. Recently it was condemned and ordered demolished as a fire hazard by the state fire marshal, with thorough cleaning and remodeling as the alternative. No one has been sufficiently interested in keeping an old, dilapidated cabin to spend the necessary money, and G. E. Egger, owner of the premises, began the job of tearing it down. The cabin was formerly the property of the Hefferlin estate and was recently acquired by Mr. Egger. Although known as the home of Calamity Jane, the cabin was never owned or used as a permanent home by her. Calamity, however, occupied it during many of her earlier periods of residence in Livingston. The cabin, according to the best recollection of Police Magistrate William Mitchell, pioneer hotel keeper of Livingston, was built for a Kitty McDonald who was its first occupant. She was followed by Minnie Crooks. Calamity, Mr. Mitchell recalls, stayed at the cabin during the residence of both women. In ripping off the roof of the cabin, Mr. Egger discovered that the nails used in its construction were of a type seldom seen now— the old fashioned cut iron nails. Modern wire nails, however, were used in repairing the roof later.” Accessed via: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ Adit Shaft Lode Assay Claim Bedrock Tailings Stamp Mill Sluice Box Cradle Retort Quartz Panning Kibble Flume Crosscut Puddle Amalgam Bluey Dolly Pot Forgotten homestead along the Big Hole River in Montana... Q: How many counties are in Montana? ©2025 Ghost Towns and History of Montana, LLC. All rights reserved. OUT AND ABOUT Tidbits Sat July 19: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm Sun July 20: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm Admission: $5 per Person • $20 per Family • Age 5 and Under Free Join us every Tuesday this summer starting at tour sponsor Blackfoot River Brewing for our Echoes of the Old World tour on the Bert and Ernies Pub Trolley! Take a ride through Helena's south central historic district and learn the stories of early community members who established the Queen City. This tour concludes just in time to enjoy the music and activities featured at the Reeder's Alley summer series! Book now at www.mthistory.org/tours. A: 56
1 Publizr