Page 4 THE SAUGUS ADVOCATE – FriDAy, MArCH 28, 2025 ~ The Old Sachem ~ A brief history of Saugus schools By Bill Stewart S augus schools have been around since 1775. The town’s first school building was constructed in Saugus Center. In 1801 a new school was constructed, and the older building was sold to Richard Shute for 65 dollars The old building was located at the corner of the old burial grounds. 8 Norwood St. Everett (617) 387-9810 Open Tues. - Sat. at 4:00 PM Closed Sun. & Mon. Announcing our Classic Specials Dine In Only: * FREE Salad with purchase of Entree, Tuesdays & Wednesdays * Cheese Pizza - Only $10 Catch ALL The Live Sports Action On Our Large Screen TV’s Scan & Follow Us on Facebook! It was modified by Shute and became a grocery store about where the grocery store is today. It burned down in 1820. Saugus built a new schoolhouse in 1801 that was located across from the burial ground. When a new school was built, it was sold to William Boardman and used as a shoe shop. It lasted until 1821 as a school. It’s the printing shop today. The Old Rock Schoolhouse was built in 1806 and lasted until 1838. It was built as the first schoolhouse in East Saugus on Chestnut Street. In 1838 the classes were transferred to the Mansfield School in East Saugus. The Old Rock building was destroyed in an attempt to move it to a new location. The Mansfield School was used from 1838 to 1939 and was originally named the Chestnut Street School. It was renamed the Mansfield School in 1911 to honor the longtime teacher, Eliza Mansfield. It was closed in 1939 because of low enrollment. The Center School was built www.810bargrille.com Everett Aluminum 10 Everett Ave., Everett 617-389-3839 Celebrating 66 Years in Business! Owned & Operated by the Conti Family since 1958 “Same name, phone number & address for over half a century. We must be doing something right!” •Vinyl Siding •Free Estimates •Carpentry Work •Fully Licensed •Decks •Roof ng • Fully Insured • Replacement Windows www.everettaluminum.com Now’s the time to schedule those home improvement projects you’ve been dreaming about all winter! at 25 Main St. in 1821 and was used until 1896 when it was replaced by the Roby School, and was named after the revolutionary patriot Parson Roby. Eventually it became the school administration building. It was used until the 1960s whenever new classrooms were needed. It remains as the Town Hall Annex housing the Planning Board, the Conservation Commission and the Historical Commission. The Lincoln School was opened in 1838 and was originally named the Lincoln Avenue School. It was renamed in 1911 as an honor to Abraham Lincoln. The state building inspector declared it unsafe, and it was closed in 1924. The Sweetser School was built on the site. Students and teachers were transferred to the Emerson School, which today is a housing building. In the transfer of students from the Lincoln School, two grades were moved to the Ballard School. The North Saugus School was opened in 1870 and closed in 1980. It was sold as an office building. The Armitage School began in 1885 and was originally named the Essex Street School. In 1911 it was renamed in honor of a teacher, Laura Armitage. It was located on the corner of Essex Street and Pleasant Avenue as a wooden building and was moved across the street where it now stands, and a new building was erected in 1922. The school was closed in 1984 and is now owned by the Saugus Housing Authority. Next was the Cliftondale School, which opened in 1894 and was originally named the Bond School. It was renamed Cliftondale “due to an unfortunate controversy” in connection with the Bond name. In 1980 it was closed and sublet to the North Shore Education Consor“The Old Sachem,” Bill Stewart. (Courtesy photo to The Saugus Advocate by Joanie Allbee) tium for 10 years before it was abandoned. It then became the Mariah E. Graves building in honor of a former teacher, and in 2007 it became The MEG Foundation, a community volunteer group. The next school added was the Roby School in 1896. It was an elementary school on Main Street named after Joseph Roby. The school was closed in 1984 and was converted to the Saugus School Administration Building. Next week we will look at the Felton, Emerson, Ballard, Evans, Oaklandvale, Lynnhurst, Douglas Waybright, the Middle and High Schools. (Editor’s Note: Bill Stewart, who is better known to Saugus Advocate readers as “The Old Sachem,” writes a weekly column – sometimes about sports. He also opines on current or historical events or famous people. to to The Saugus Advocate by Joanie Allbee) Spring is Here!
5 Publizr Home